Monday, February 13, 2012

Vegan Cuisine and Elite Conversation

I have to admit, coming from a University who prides themselves on knowing all the words to lollipop by lil wayne and I love College by Roth while habitually drinking 5 nights a week with countless additives, I did not expect to enjoy myself Friday.

I was invited by a friend of a friend to a house gathering, a Salon if you will, that was both non-alcoholic and Vegan diet orientated. I think there was a four year span of my life that my entire diet was Burnett's vodka, frozen hamburger patties, and Tostitos con queso dip. I wish I was kidding. The party was in a crowded third floor apartment, garnished in an eclectic decorum. It was a two-bedroom apartment but populated by three. The living room was overwhelmed by large pieces of furniture and a coffee table which held a proper amount of food, but took up way too much surface area.

I enjoyed myself.

I got to focus on one of my resolutions which was to pay attention and remember peoples names. I am often too self-centered and focused on a sexy delivery of my own name, that I completely and instantaneously forget the persons name who just introduced themselves. My conversations were elaborate, accurate, and detailed. I felt I delivered any argument that I presented, whether right or wrong, with distinction.

Although I fear I may have been the only attendee who has purposely gotten past "just the tip," everyone was extremely warm and friendly, slightly pretentious, but probably rightly so. The vast majority graduated from an ivy league school, and spoke with a proper tongue. I did not find this at all discouraging and just stood my ground in the art of conversation. One girl asked me who my ideal candidate was for president, an unavoidable conversation in light of the GOP primary and releasing the fact that I work in the realm of politics. I responded with a desire to see a younger Ron Paul who realizes that you can't privatize TSA, that looked like JFK and moves like Jagger. She liked this response.. you never know if you are going to get a bleeding heart liberal, a communist, or a pro slavery advocate in a room like this. Regardless, you walk the line.

The food turned out to be pleasing, simple, but enjoyable. There was semi-sweet chocolate/raspberry tart cake, guacamole, vegan cheese (not sure what the hell that is made of), and tea. The tea was bland, but the company was grand. All-in-all it was nice to remember a group of peoples names, walk away slightly more educated, have a few new phone numbers in the iphone contact list, and not go hungry. Not to mention I was much more productive the next day after not waking up to a splitting headache, the stench of dry whiskey on my breath, and a girl name Sadie who I thought was Jessica.

R

No comments:

Post a Comment