Saturday, March 31, 2012

You Keep the Knife, I'll Take the Butter

Whats funny is we all turn to something when we are vulnerable. Some to a drink, others to a drug, a bottle, sewing machine, tennis court, garden. There is no right or wrong place, but there's a place, a definite place. You go there where you are sad, or hurt, manipulated or feel cheated. That place. It doesn't make sense, to others.

For me a write, and sometimes sing (badly). I write about those whom wronged me, only I found it justified. I jot down notes about people I thought were just, only to do me unjustly wrong. Most of the time the things that make us vulnerable, are done by other people; meaning we do this to ourselves.

A cruel fucking society, or maybe a weak society who just can't "deal." I am not sure, but I'll stick with the fact that humans were not born of thick skin, only layers, and we are only vulnerable not weak. At times we are naive, inattentive, but never weak. We have the strength, wit and drive to persevere through wrongdoing and cruelty, but many of us need to find it still. One was quoted by saying "surround yourself with those who pick you up, and get rid of the ones who bring you down." In my experience the ones who bring you down are ironically much harder to rid yourself of, and for whatever reason, I have hurt many of the people who pick me up.

We are very imperfect beings. Some, not all of us are easy to take advantage of a good thing, and even better people. In our worst state we will steal from those who have delivered us from evil, and deliver the goods to those who trespass against us. Designed to fail, but built to learn, we transcribe lessons from our mistakes and move forward. I have hurt many, and I have helped many. I always hope that they cancel out each other, but hurt goes a lot further I have found. Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, you be the judge, the past is obdurate. It cannot be changed. Perhaps analyzed, and even then not too carefully.

Each day we live we should strive only to be a bit better; put down the knife, you don't need it for butter. I try to put aside all of those who have wronged, hurt, or betrayed me, because I know that on any given Monday I can do the same. It does not hurt any less, but we are simply human. If you are reading this today (one of four) then give something to someone, do good, it will help out your inevitable wrong from yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment