Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Oh Good, It is Raining....Again

It rains a lot this time of year in Boston. A portentous haze builds around the waning moon, warning us of shadows to come for the third consecutive day. There is something about a dreary and wet New England morning that makes you strangely comfortable with the idea of pouring three shots worth of baileys or cheap whiskey in your coffee to bring some light to the day. Another perk of arriving early to the office so that the liquor has enough time to burn out of your mouth by the second and third cup of Joe, which are unfortunately void of any intoxicant.

Trains fill up with Zeta Tau Alpha's and Kappa Kappa Gammas riding into government center or North station for the commencement ceremonies. Unaffected by the tumultuous winds and soggy black gowns, they look forward to a few weeks of drunken Greek-like festivities while I contemplate what piece of office equipment I can break and not get blamed for, just to add excitement to the day. It often seems like I am complaining, but truly due enjoy my monotonous life for the most part. Knowing that each day will be there, and I wont have to duck a curveball, is comforting in its own right.

Still the rain continues, and still I refuse to purchase an umbrella. A piece of life equipment I always felt was inadequate. Most are too small, or flimsy, others make you look like a fucking idiot. As the nylon device fails to achieve its one purpose, keeping you dry from head to toe, you find its leaving you unbalanced as your body is pulled in the direction of oncoming traffic due to gusts of wind hailing from a not so distant shore. If you are fortunate to have one of those ridiculously sized Mary Poppins umbrellas and you are in fact dry for the most part, you look down and realized the most expensive part of you outfit, your shoes, are completely drenches and the brown leather is pure black as you can now see the outline of your toes. Fun.

You find me one person who enjoys rain, other than to assist in sleep or welcome a cuddle session, and I will find you a liar. I am not saying it has to be bright and sunny everyday because I can assure you that would burn me out. But, if we could pump the brakes on the precipitation around these parts it would be greatly appreciated, just tap the ol' pads every so fucking slightly. I believe it would be appreciated by all.

My walk to the metro, or should I say the goddamn "T" only allows for about 1 minute of exposure so I am being a raging child about the whole scenario. I am sure Mr. Fitness who rides 6 miles to Cambridge on his bicycle wearing shorts and fantastic Helly Hansen jacket, while carrying his over the shoulder bag and a gallon of protein has it much worse. But I digress. Good lord, I just want to leave the office today without getting wet. There is a time and place for that, and its not on my commute.

1 comment:

  1. I know you've read it before...
    "Rain amplifies your mistakes..."

    Perhaps that is why you call for sleep or a cuddle buddy, because you feel like shit and you either
    A. Don't want to deal with it
    OR
    B. Want to be loved.

    The silence rain creates allows for us to dive into our thoughts more. The rain drops on our skin allows for us to remember that we are not bigger than the world, we are humans, we are vulnerable.

    Umbrellas are unnecessary, obnoxious,and unreliable. So are rain boots (unless they have the drawstring at the top of them. You know, to close up that huge space that allows for rain to come in. Human genius right?) More evidence to add to the case that rain sucks because it makes you uncomfortable by kicking you off your high horse and letting you know that it will win.

    ReplyDelete